Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gingerbread Party

Here are some of the pictures from our Gingerbread Party that we held before holiday break.  We always start off by reading a couple of different versions of the story.  Here are a couple that are in our school library:


 We talk about the genre of folktales and what that means.  We talk about the differences and similarities between the two stories.  We also try some gingerbread cookies.  I am always surprised by how many students have never tried a gingerbread cookie!

Here are some pictures from our party:


We decorate paper gingerbread houses.  I got these a long time ago from Jan Brett's website.  I looked and I don't see them there anymore, but she has a lot of other awesome activities to go with her story.  She is one of my favorite authors and she loves teachers and librarians.


Basically, there is a house and separate pieces.  You can cut out the pieces you want and use it to decorate your gingerbread house.

We also did a simple foam craft that I got at Hobby Lobby.  I like to put the kids pictures on the back, so the parents can use it as an ornament or a magnet.  I love pulling out stuff my own kids have made year after year.

We also played gingerbread bingo and roll a gingerbread man.  I have had these activities for many years and I am not exactly sure where I got them :)  There are a lot of them on the web though if you do a google search.

No comments:

Post a Comment