Monday, February 21, 2011

Walking Through the Jungle

I have been sick as a dog all weekend.  Yes, all the sickness in the classroom and in my own family finally overcame me.   Luckily, I already had a  doctor's appt made for today!  Then we had an ice storm hit last night, so school is canceled.  Its really pretty and we haven't lost power yet, plus it gives me one more day to recover.

So I didn't get much done this weekend, but I did make a few things for our big book this week, "Walking through the Jungle" by Stella Blackstone and Debbie Harter.

 This is a really cute story about a little girl that is using her imagination and visiting different animals in their habitats.  This would be a good story to read if you were doing a unit on animal habitats.  The jungle portion of it is only the first few pages.


The first item I made is a sight word game.  The first two pages of words are from our Reading Series, Harcourt Trophies.  I think I will have my WMU student use this game and use the first two pages with the below and on grade level kiddos.  The second two pages are words from the Dolch lists that our series doesn't cover.  These will be for the above grade level kids.  You can click on the picture below to download the document.  Thanks to Babbling Abby for teaching me how to do this!




Next, I have a beginning sounds activity and a rhyming activity.  These will be used in a small group with my below grade level students.
Click on the picture below for the rhyming activity


And here is the beginning sound activity. This activity goes specifically with the story, so it is not strictly jungle themed.

Some of the other books we will be reading are:



Hopefully, my own little monkeys will let me make some other things today!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I had the flue too so I feel your pain. I hope you feel better.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete