Wednesday, February 2, 2011

We Are Adopting a Red Panda!

Every year instead of a valentine's day party (Valentine's Day parties will be held in wraparound), our kindergarten classes adopt an animal from the Binder Park Zoo!  The students voted on Tuesday and selected one of the baby red pandas to adopt this year!  You could also use these activities for the Chinese New Year since the red panda is indigenous to China or for a zoo theme.

Today was a snow day and my hubby was home too!  Fifth 3rd declared an emergency and he did not have to report.  So I worked off and on researching the red panda and creating some literacy materials for us to use next week.  On Thursday, we will have an adoption party to celebrate adopting the red panda.

I found one book at the Kalamazoo Public Library and put it on hold, hopefully it comes in soon.

I also created some literacy activities.  Hope you enjoy!

The first is red panda word cards.  I put these in my letter/word work center and have the kids make the words with magnetic letters or other letter manipulative.  We also go over these words for vocabulary.  They have words for where red pandas live, what they eat, and who their predators are.

Downlaod the Red Panda Word Cards Here

Also for the letter/word work center I made an uppercase/lowercase letter match

Download the Red Panda Uppercase/Lowercase Match Here

The beginning sounds match will be used in a small group with my parapro for those students who did not benchmark in this area on DIBELS.  They may also make their way into the letter/word work center.

Download the Red Panda Beginning Sound Match Here

Last but not least, I made a red panda making words activity.  I was inspired to do this by the cute ones sent through the making learning fun yahoo group and some of the other bloggers I follow.

Download the Red Panda Making Words Sheet Here

They have already called another snow day for tomorrow, but my husband will not be home, so I doubt I will get as much done.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment